Veterans handbook Left FULLVeterans handbook Right FULL

Veteran's Checklist: Before Admission

Vet Checkbox FULL MILITARY SEPARATION/DISCHARGE PAPERS: A Report of Separation is issued upon completion of at least 90 consecutive days of active duty service in the military, and is needed to verify military service for educational benefits.  It is important to retain this document for your records because requesting a duplicate from the VA may take longer than expected.  If you do not have your Discharge Papers, use this link to request them

Vet Checkbox FULL VA EDUCATIONAL BENEFITS: To begin the process, you must apply for VA education benefits with the Veterans Administration online (preferable) or obtain a hard copy of the application form (VA Form 22-1990) that can be processed and mailed to the VA Regional Processing Office at 130 South Elmwood Ave, Buffalo, NY 14202.  The VA will issue a Certificate of Eligibility; attendance must be verified by FDU initially and each semester thereafter. Your FDU contact is Theresa Coll at (201) 692-2232, Kron Bldg 1-04.  You can access the VA Benefits form at

Vet Checkbox FULL FINANCIAL AID: In addition to your VA Educational Benefits, you may be eligible for a variety of need- and merit-based financial aid, as well as subsidized student loans.  To be considered for federal or state financial aid, you must first complete the FAFSA or Free Application for Federal Student Aid.  The Financial Aid Office at FDU will “package” all of your VA Educational Benefits and other sources of financial aid.  You will be responsible for any uncovered portion of tuition and fees.  IMPORTANT: When completing the FAFSA, VA Educational Benefits do NOT count toward your claimed income.  You can complete the FAFSA on-line: .

Vet Checkbox FULL FDU ADMISSIONS APPLICATION: The Veterans Application for Admission to FDU Undergraduate Programs of Study can be found online at  Applicants interested in FDU Graduate Programs of Study can access general and special application forms at An Application Fee is required but will be reimbursed to the veteran.

Vet Checkbox FULL REQUEST MILITARY AND COLLEGE TRANSCRIPTS: Arrange for your official military transcripts, and official transcripts from colleges previously attended (if any) to be sent to FDU as soon as possible and contact the OVS to confirm receipt.  You can request Army, Navy/Marine, Air Force, or Coast Guard transcripts here: These transcripts will be evaluated by FDU; credits may be awarded for some previous educational experiences. An FDU Checksheet will be prepared identifying credits transferred and courses required in the first semester for your program of study.  Please refer to “Transcript Evaluations” for contact information.

Veterans Education at Fairleigh Dickinson University

As a Military Veteran, you are joining servicemen and servicewomen from all branches of the military who are pursuing undergraduate and advanced degrees at FDU. To help you prepare for the upcoming semester, we have put together checklists of actions that need to be taken in preparation for admission and registration. They are all of importance and not necessarily sequential. We’ve also included a list of important phone numbers and websites, as well as policies and useful information.

If you should have any questions or get stuck at any stage of the process, you are encouraged to contact the

Office of Veterans Services (OVS) at Fairleigh Dickinson University:

Ariel J. Luna
Director, Office of Veterans Services
Fairleigh Dickinson University
1000 River Road
Mail Stop H-DH1-06
Teaneck, New Jersey 07666

Office Location: 

Dickinson Hall
Main Level, Room # 1214
140 University Plaza Drive
(Hackensack side of the Campus)